Week 8
On Saturday, I woke up at 5:30 AM to go shadow the Temple University Hospital Trauma Surgery Team. I haven't woken up at 5:30 AM in forever, but surprisingly, it wasn't that difficult. Perhaps I was excited. I arrived just before 7 AM, and within minutes of the team starting to discuss their current admitted patients, 3 trauma calls in a row came in. I stayed until the afternoon when I went out to grab some dinner. When I got back, we had an additional 2 calls before I left around 10 PM. However, none of the calls were penetrating trauma which I had expected to see. Nonetheless, it was an interesting experience. Here's a view of the horizon from one of the hospital floors.
Also today, Xavier, my neighbor from Bordeaux, France, left for Indonesia. It was tough saying goodbye, but I as my pediatrician Dr. Audrey Reid once told me, "All good things must come to an end." Here's a goodbye picture:
By the way, this week is going to be my second-to-last week before I head home to LA. I'm hoping to get quite a bit of analysis done at work and hopefully be ready to publish some papers.
On Monday, I decided to walk around the hospital a little to see what is where. I found a family that was lost, and I helped bring them to the right place (after I asked several receptionists myself). Then, I passed by a play-room where there were some kids playing. It was nice to smile at a kid and see them smile back at me, even through a window. I also saw a model of the hospital, which I hope will give you an idea of what CHOP looks like from the outside. It's a nice building.
On Wednesday, I observed at my boss' "pig lab" where they induce cardiac arrests in young pigs in order to simulate the resuscitation process. Unfortunately, pictures are not permitted. However, the pig was very cute and oinked like you would imagine it to.
On Friday, I observed a little at the Pediatric ICU. Some highlights include a patient being intubated and a patient being flown in from elsewhere and being sent to the hyperbaric chamber.
It's crazy to think that this is my second-to-last week in Philly this summer. When I post my next post, I will be doing it from LA. I will also talk a little about my trip to New York City (I went with my friend Idris and met up with some other friends as well), so stay tuned!
On Sunday, I met with my high school friend Jonathan. We caught up a bit, walked around the UPenn campus, and ate at an all-you-can-eat hot pot place in Chinatown. I don't think I annoyed him too much haha...
Also today, Xavier, my neighbor from Bordeaux, France, left for Indonesia. It was tough saying goodbye, but I as my pediatrician Dr. Audrey Reid once told me, "All good things must come to an end." Here's a goodbye picture:
By the way, this week is going to be my second-to-last week before I head home to LA. I'm hoping to get quite a bit of analysis done at work and hopefully be ready to publish some papers.
On Monday, I decided to walk around the hospital a little to see what is where. I found a family that was lost, and I helped bring them to the right place (after I asked several receptionists myself). Then, I passed by a play-room where there were some kids playing. It was nice to smile at a kid and see them smile back at me, even through a window. I also saw a model of the hospital, which I hope will give you an idea of what CHOP looks like from the outside. It's a nice building.
On Wednesday, I observed at my boss' "pig lab" where they induce cardiac arrests in young pigs in order to simulate the resuscitation process. Unfortunately, pictures are not permitted. However, the pig was very cute and oinked like you would imagine it to.
On Friday, I observed a little at the Pediatric ICU. Some highlights include a patient being intubated and a patient being flown in from elsewhere and being sent to the hyperbaric chamber.
It's crazy to think that this is my second-to-last week in Philly this summer. When I post my next post, I will be doing it from LA. I will also talk a little about my trip to New York City (I went with my friend Idris and met up with some other friends as well), so stay tuned!





Comments
Post a Comment